Monday, February 11, 2008

Indian crowd best behaved: Spanish referee

I was watching NDTV 24x7 for daily updates on sports as I like to be well versed with India's efforts in the Sports arena and the headline "Indian crowd best behaved" took me by surprise. Indian crowd (read: spectators) is always loathed for its unruly behavior specially while cricket matches.

Politicians running sports bodies is commonplace, but one donning the cap of tennis referee is indeed a rare sight. Spanish referee Gabriel Mato, who officiated the recently concluded Davis Cup tie between India and Uzbekistan here, is one such exception. Mato, a Spanish MP, combines his travels all over the world for tennis with his hectic political schedule.


This was Mato's first assignment in India and the affable Spaniard was satisfied with the way the tie was conducted.

Mato also praised the Indian crowd, which he says has been the best behaved he had seen so far despite their sometimes boisterous nature.
Quote: "The tie was well organised. The courts were well dressed and the signages looked good. Moreover both the teams were happy and there have been no complaints"

"I must say that I am very impressed with the crowd here. They make noise, fully back their team but there were no fights. The way they cheered with drums, I found that quite curious. It was a big contrast to all the places where I have officiated"

I prefer watching NDTV 24x7 as it is India’s most respected news channel and the news coverage is ‘to the point’ unlike other news channels where every news is a breaking news.

The experience only improves as I have subscribed to DirecTv. There’s no need to buy any costly equipments, I received installation of a 4-room DirecTV system alongwith the subscription.

No comments: